Brooks-Howell is a non-profit, charitable continuing care retirement community owned and supported by the United Methodist Women of The United Methodist Church. It was established to provide a retirement facility for deaconesses, missionaries, and others approved by United Methodist Women.

At the 1954 Fourth Assembly of the Woman’s Society of Christian Service and Wesleyan Service Guild, an offering taken was to be used “in some way for retired deaconesses and missionaries.”

In April 1955, the Committee for a New Home for Retired Workers was named to study the location for a new retirement home.

Questionnaires sent to active and retired deaconesses and missionaries indicated a preference for the Southeastern Jurisdiction and ultimately Asheville was chosen.

The name Brooks-Howell honors Mrs. Frank G. Brooks, then president of the Woman’s Division of Christian Service, and Miss Mabel K. Howell, former professor of missions at Scarritt College.  Miss Howell was said to have taught more missionaries and deaconesses than any other person.

Over the years, buildings have been constructed to provide more residential opportunities and to enrich the lives of those who live here.  Independent living in apartments and suites as well as a skilled health care unit meet the desires and concerns of our residents and their families.

Our community is enhanced by a new chapel, an indoor aqua therapy pool, onsite therapy services/gym (speech, physical, and occupational), and an activities building.  Our community is grateful to United Methodist Women, from local units to the global office, for providing us with this opportunity to be called, served, and serving still.